Always Only For My King

Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King. Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee. Take my silver and my gold not a mite would I withhold. Take my intellect and use every power as You choose. Here am I, all of me. Take my life, it's all for Thee.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

gestational diabetes

i went in for my 32 week checkup today. we had a sonogram to make sure the baby's due date hasn't changed. our son measured to be around 32 weeks, so everything looks great.

my doctor said that my blood sugars look good, and that i can go to taking my sugars every other day, yay!

i'm a little bit skeptical about the whole gestational diabetes thing in my case. i've heard that different doctors/hospitals/clinics have different tolerances to the blood glucose for when you fail. i think the hospital/clinic i'm at is definitely more strict. i failed 2 out of the 4 measurements for the 3 hour blood glucose, one of which was really close (180 was the cutoff, i was at 188). my friend had said that if you fail 1, you're still considered as passing. she had also told me that at our mutual friend's clinic/hospital, you just have to pass the fasting (before you drink the sugary liquid) and the last measurement at the 3 hour mark in order to "pass" the test (aka not have gestational diabetes). if i were at the same place she was, i would be classified as not having gestational diabetes.

the other reason i've been thinking that i probably don't have gestational diabetes is since i've been monitoring my diet, i've only had a high reading of 135 after meals. and these are meals that are pretty much carbo loaded (case and point, today for lunch i had as many of my mom's dumplings as i wanted which was probably twice the amount of carbs i should have eaten). now, in some places, you just have to stay under 140, but like i said, our clinic is strict, and the doctor that oversees "high risk pregnancies" (which include gestational diabetics), wants that number to be under 120.

i know that our doctors just want to make sure that we have things under control and that we don't have a big baby. but now, i'm a little bit more lax about things moreso than when i was pregnant with sean. :P i wish i wasn't so borderline. :P

2 Comments:

Anonymous DC said...

Parents always slack off after the first kid.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Ramona said...

thanks dc. i'm sure that's what my 2nd son wants to hear. :)

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home