Always Only For My King

Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King. Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee. Take my silver and my gold not a mite would I withhold. Take my intellect and use every power as You choose. Here am I, all of me. Take my life, it's all for Thee.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

baby bandwagon?

been thinking a lot about babies lately. some of my friends are having their first child soon (most of them before the summer). part of me is like, "well, let's jump on that bandwagon. we want kids!" and then part of me is like, "nat and i can enjoyed being married for a little while longer sans children".

so, my thoughts are, perhaps we'd start trying in a year (or maybe less). but a few factors linger in my head. if i get pregnant:
1) i might be in the middle of my grad school program (if i get in), can i defer for a while and then come back?
2) nat will still be in school (which may not be a bad thing).
3) finances.
4) might have to postpone my teaching career for a few years (which might be fine too).
5) being a parent. kinda scary.
6) what if my friends get married and i can't travel? :)

i know, some thoughts range from silly to serious. but then i'm reminded, there is never a "perfect" time to have a baby (well, at least when you're younger and want to have a smaller chance of any problems during pregnancy due to being older). and i'm reminded of friends that have children that have been under more "stressful" situations, and they're managing.

one things for sure, my family is ready for the thompson baby bandwagon. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger FemaleCSGradStudent said...

Two things.

1. It's never a "good time" to have a baby. If you wait until you can afford a baby, you will never have one. Still, I can see why you are apprehensive at this very moment to have a baby. Talking to the people in my PhD program who have had kids and survived, after-the-prelim is the "best" time.

2. As for travelling for weddings. Kids at weddings make the ceremony so much more fun. Most memories I have of weddings are goofy kid responses. My favorite: at one friends' wedding, right when the bride had finished walking down the aisle, the music quieted down, and people were seated, a little boy in the back loudly asked his mother, "IS IT OVER NOW?!" And if you have to miss a wedding, I'm sure it will be understood. That's what pictures are for.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Ramona said...

response to your two things.

1. that's what i hear. and i think i'd rather have children and postpone teaching (or find other opportunities to get into teaching programs).

2. well, i'll be sad if i can't attend some of my good friend's weddings (a lot of them are dating now). but you're right, pictures can suffice. if they have a flipbook of pictures, or a video, that would be better!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah - everything is scary but God's grace is sufficient. If you're ready to die to yourself (even more so than the marriage life has called for) then it's probably baby time. :-D I can babysit[1]!!!

Also, I thought this "
one things for sure, my family is ready for the thompson baby bandwagon. :)" was hilarious, because I know that's why my parents want me to get married.


[1] Once a semester ... hehe.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home