Always Only For My King

Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King. Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee. Take my silver and my gold not a mite would I withhold. Take my intellect and use every power as You choose. Here am I, all of me. Take my life, it's all for Thee.

Friday, February 24, 2006

too much too soon

i realized as i was walking home yesterday how much i do not like the new aol im interface. the newest one is aol aim triton. sorry about the flash in the link. i know that they're trying to revamp the interface and add new features, but i just have had an adverse reaction to it.

some of the things that i have issues with:
  • when you install the software, it uses flash to show you the status of the install. to me, it feels a lot like the ad-ware that has all the bells and whistles.
  • it's different enough from the old interface to annoy me quite a bit.
    • the location of the "away" messages is in a different place. it was hard for me to notice that it was directly above my buddy list b/c the color did not stand out. it was also hard to notice b/c they began to tie the display with your screen name with the status of your chat.
    • i find it more cumbersome to create new away messages
    • they started using tabs in the im boxes. now, when you chat, all your chats show up in a tab, much like gaim. it was hard for me to notice when someone was im-ing me b/c the change in the icons were on the side and not directly where my focus of attention is.
    • it was harder for me to locate how to change my user preferences.
    • they started adding a lot of features that i thought was too much--e-mail, video, video chat, etc.
despite my rant, i understand how hard it is to introduce a new interface. i'd just prefer a smoother transition between the old and the new. maybe a better idea would have been to keep a lot of the old features in the same place and have a similar layout as the old aim. perhaps i'm just getting old and being too critical. if you have aim triton, let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on tabs. It's nice to not clutter up your whole screen, but it's really easy to miss things. Especially when you have more than like 3 tabs up there. (I don't use AIM Triton, but I've noticed this in general.)

-DC

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AIM triton is an abomination to intentional user interface. My favorite im client is Adium (OS X only), it supports tabs quite nicely.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home