Always Only For My King

Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King. Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee. Take my silver and my gold not a mite would I withhold. Take my intellect and use every power as You choose. Here am I, all of me. Take my life, it's all for Thee.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

occupation: housewife

with the beginning of the semester, many people have been asking "what are you doing now?" i politely answer "finishing up my thesis, and most likely be a housewife for awhile". sometimes, i've been faced with an awkward pause. it seems like they're not sure if i'm joking, or if i'm not, why i would want to be a housewife. granted i'm not planning to be a housewife for a prolonged period as i'm looking for a job, but it's not something i mind doing. as i talk with more people about it, i find myself in two modes--not caring what others think or feeling pressure of what i "ought" to do. i generally try to be in the not caring what others think", but there when i feel real pressure to get a job related to my degrees and pursuing some illustrious career.

in the end, i let those pressures pass me by. i do not see my education as a waste, even though i might not go into industry. i realize that God has taught me many valuable lessons and skills through my time at school that i can apply to many areas of my life, no matter what i choose as my occupation. some things that i've learned since i started undergrad are: self-worth, finding my identity in Christ, working outside of my comfort zone, thinking analytically, becoming a better writer, refining my organization abilities, learning to communicate effectively, becoming a better teacher, and finding out my passions in life.

college and grad school has definitely opened up many doors in my life, but i've learned that i don't always have to go through the ones that most people take. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that being a housewife rocks is that is what you are being called to do at this time. We have many examples of God using that time for His glory and after all... that is what it is all about.

You go girl!

4:38 PM  
Blogger FemaleCSGradStudent said...

I'm glad you recognize the lessons that you've learned from graduate school. Your positive attitude about what was gained in graduate school will get you very far.

For me, I really loved being unemployed. People would ask me, "What do you do?" I would reply simply, "Whatever I want." I loved seeing their faces.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home