Always Only For My King

Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King. Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee. Take my silver and my gold not a mite would I withhold. Take my intellect and use every power as You choose. Here am I, all of me. Take my life, it's all for Thee.

Monday, June 12, 2006

prestige revealing my pride

i went to m.i.t. commencement this weekend to see one of oldest and closest friend graduate with her PhD. i had a great time spending time with her and her family, and it was a real blessing just being able to sit down and talk with her.

despite the blessings, it was hard for me to be at m.i.t. like most commencements and graduations, the speakers talk about how bright and talented the graduates are for finishing their degrees from such a prestigious university. for m.i.t., it was more than a claim, it was truth. for so long, i've heard m.i.t. being ranked as the #1 school, and being there, i began to feel why they were #1.

it is the prestige of the school that began to tempt me to care more about worldly things than the things of God. i began to desire to have that prestige in my own life--well known advisors, cutting-edge research, etc. as i became more aware of it, i found that this hunger was suffocating me and my true desire to lay down my life to follow Christ. thankfully, God reminded me that my identity lays firmly in my relationship with Christ. He cares not for the prestige that i might have in this world, for they are empty compared to the riches i have in knowing Christ. praise the Lord!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it prestige that is the problem or the selfish desire for it? Let's take pastors for example. Such a possition carries a certain amount of prestige with it. Certainly more than the average member of the congregation. It seems that it is percisely this inherent prestige that leads to the various requirements on those in the office of paster. They should be "especially good" because they have more prestige and hence can tarnish the church more because of it. So I would argue that it isn't prestige, but the selfish desire for it or the pride that it brings that is the real problem.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

i would agree with your thoughts. i don't think prestige it bad, but rather your attitude in regards to it. for me, it is my selfish desire for prestige for prideful purposes. i find i would boast in my prestige rather than being humble.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home